Monday, March 9, 2009

An Epistemological Question - How Do We Know that God Answers Prayer?

I struggled now for many weeks thinking about this question. It was raised in response to my blog posting on December 28, 2008, “Understanding Prayer” (see: http://dennisposzywak.blogspot.com/2008/12/understanding-prayer.html). It took me a while to comment, not for lack of interest, but I found the task of understanding the context of the question daunting! I question whether or not I hit the mark; however, I certainly gave it my best shot answering the question using my own perspective within the context of how the question was asked.

I began by trying to understand the context of the question and turned to Wikipedia (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology) to formulate the content of this paragraph. Accordingly, I learned the definition of the term “epistemology” is the philosophical study of knowledge and belief. Two forms of knowledge are considered: propositional knowledge and procedural knowledge. In common language terms, propositional knowledge is considered “know-that” (someone knows that or believes something that is later to be found true) versus the procedural knowledge which is “know-how” (someone knows how to do something). While “know-how” is simply having knowledge of how something is done, “know-that” is more aligned with a belief or higher cognitive process involving wisdom that may or may not be later found to be true. Wikipedia distinguishes the two by pointing out we know that 2+2=4, but there is also the knowledge of how to add numbers. So if I understand correctly, the later is knowledge that can be taught, while with the former, this knowledge involves combining wisdom with a higher cognitive process. This knowledge is a subset of beliefs and truths. Beliefs are a product of the wisdom gained up to the very moment we profess a belief, while knowledge are those beliefs later proven to be accurate or validated through some form of justification. For example, if I believe the ice is safe, walk out onto the ice, and the ice does in fact support my weight (truth-a belief that was later to be found true), then the outcome is considered knowledge (i.e. the ice is safe). Others would say that I knew the ice was safe. On the other hand, if I fall through the ice, my belief was incorrect, or I simply didn’t know the ice was unsafe, my belief was incorrect. False-belief is not considered knowledge. (Note: My disclaimer is that this is my simple minds interpretation, which could be far from accurate!)

So, how do we know that God answers prayer?

Belief

As stated in “Understanding Prayer”, my earlier days of prayer often lacked the faith that God was really there and listening to me. In hindsight, prayer is something that I did often when I was in a jam, and then went about my life afterwards. Prayer was a feel-good moment, and prayer results were often far from my mind. Although I turned to God in prayer, my motivations were self-interest and I really didn’t have the sincere belief that He would answer my prayers. So, regardless of the outcome of my prayer session, at this former time in my life, I could not conclusively tell you that it was God answering my prayer, the outcome of my own efforts, or simply coincidence. Even as a young Christian, I did not understand the power of prayer or how to take my requests to God with an infinite belief that He would answer my prayers.

As stated earlier, moving through the thought process of preparing to write this response, I concluded that our beliefs are a product of the wisdom gained up to the point of the very moment we profess a belief. According to Wikipedia, wisdom includes knowledge, understanding, experience, and intuitive understanding. With the passing of time, through reading God’s Word, and seeking Biblical knowledge and understanding from other Christians, I soon came to realize that I did not understand what moves God to respond to those things I would take to him in prayer.

Since this discovery, the Christian wisdom I’ve gained is that by asking Jesus to come into our hearts unites us with God (John 3:16-21). This opens the door for God to work through us to advance His Will (Eph 2:8-10). Further, Jesus promises that if we have faith, believe, and do not doubt, we will receive anything that we ask for in prayer (Matthew 21:21-22). In other words, Jesus is saying to trust God and be in full submission to God’s Will and then in prayer your request will be granted by God. Anything that we request in prayer from God that is in accordance with His Will, we will receive.

At the time I wrote “Understanding Prayer”, a point that I failed to mention is that when we take something to God in prayer, it should be with a clean heart. “16Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” (James 5:16). This is an important point that I missed. The first thing that we request in prayer should include confessing our sins and asking for forgiveness, so we can present our requests to God with a righteous heart. So, here’s my belief:

Belief: As a follower of Jesus Christ, I believe that I am united with God through His son Jesus Christ. God has a purpose for me in this life. It is not mistake that I am here on this earth and here now. This purpose is to advance His Will. If my interests are in line with God’s Will, and I take my requests to Him in prayer with a righteous heart, my prayers will be answered.

Truth

Truth is simply when a belief is later found to be true. I do not recall that any challenge to the Bible’s content was later proven untrue. Granted, there remains much content of the Bible being debated among Christians and non-Christians alike. However, as evidence emerges through archeology and true science, I am unaware of any instance in which what was found to be factual/conclusive, did not support what is in the Bible to be true. Given this, I have to accept as truth, not only the scriptural promises, but the many times God answered prayers as documented throughout the Bible, as truth.

Finally, I have learned that my own experience that my belief is really knowledge or know-that if followed, because many of my prayers have been answered over the years. I have seen the same results from others prayers raised up to God in a similar manner.

Summary (Application)

Believer:

Knowledge is a subset of belief and truth in epistemology; therefore, if as a follower of Jesus Christ…

1. I am united with God through His son Jesus Christ. 2. God has a purpose for me in this life. 3. It is not a mistake that I am here on this earth and at this time. 4. My purpose is to advance His Will. 5. I take my requests to Him in prayer with a righteous heart… my prayers will be answered. (belief)

If, what I requested from God in prayer comes to pass (truth). Then the knowledge is: I know that God answers prayers.

If God does NOT answer my prayer, because of the wisdom (i.e. Biblical knowledge, experience, etc.) that I now have, I know that what I requested in prayer was not aligned with God’s Will.

=================================================================

Non-Believer:

Knowledge is a subset of belief and truth in epistemology; therefore, if someone is NOT a follower of Jesus Christ… 1. I am not united with God through His son Jesus Christ. 2. God does not have a purpose for me in this life. 3. It is by chance that I am here on this earth and at this time. 4. My purpose is to fulfill self. 5. I take my requests to Him in prayer, my prayers won’t be answered. (belief)

If, what I requested from God in prayer comes to pass, then it is a false-belief; therefore, God or chance resulted in the answer to the prayer.

If, what I requested from God in prayer does NOT come to pass (truth), then God does not answer the prayers of those in which points 1-5 are unaligned.

Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment