Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Recipe: Sweet Potato Fries

Sweet potatoes are not just for Thanksgiving anymore! I can’t take the credit for this recipe. I don’t know the source or where I got it, but I know it’s not mine. It’s great and packed with nutrition. Check out sweet potatoes at www.whfoods.com.

Category: Vegetable
Prep Time: Approximately 1 Hour
Cooking Style: Conventional Oven or Outdoor Grill
Complexity: Easy
Servings: 4+
Date: January 6, 2009

1-2

ea

Sweet Potato (Large)

Peeled and cut into “French fry” pieces. American fry cut is ok, too!

4

Tbs

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

1-2

Tbs

Mrs. Dash Grilling Blends, Chicken

Substitute other favorite flavors


SMART POINTS!

1. I put together a food plan each week. I designed it to substitute foods that are on the American Dietetic Association’s (www.eatright.org) pyramid based on what type of food I want to eat in a week and the amounts. The website www.webmd.com has a tool for setting up a healthy food plan based on the ADA’s pyramid. I follow the sales at my favorite supermarket and purchase foods on sale that fit my weekly plan. The key to eating right is to understanding your body’s needs to either get healthy and/or stay healthy!


2. Make sure that the sweet potatoes don’t start to smoke. You don’t want the extra virgin olive oil to start to burn. George Mateljan (www.whfoods.com) says the smoke from oil is toxic.


3. Prepare enough of this recipe so you have extra to take to work and heat the sweet potatoes in the microwave for a mid-morning or afternoon snack.


Sweet Potato Preparation: Put the sweet potatoes in a bowl and mix in the extra virgin olive oil and Mrs. Dash seasoning. Set aside for 15-30 minutes. Stir occasionally.


Cooking:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. Place the sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes (until soft).

3. Let the sweet potatoes cool for 10 minutes before serving.


Serve as a healthy snack or with your favorite main dish. I served them with some homemade sauerkraut and lean ham tonight, and it was an awesome meal!


Enjoy!


Shef D


No comments:

Post a Comment