Sunday, January 4, 2009

Recipe: Grilled Salmon

People not fond of salmon even enjoy the taste when I grill it using this baste and cooking method. My mom called my aunt one time to ask how she prepares salmon and her response was “We always use Dennis’s recipe!” I get a chuckle when I think about this story.

Category: Fish
Prep Time: Approximately 1.5 Hours
Cooking Style: Charcoal or Gas Grill
Complexity: Easy
Servings: 4
Date: January 4, 2009

4

ea

Salmon Fillets

1

ea

Butter or Margarine (Stick)

1 1/2

Tbs

Horseradish (100%)

1

ea

Lemon

Halved

1

Tbs

Honey

3/4

cup

Soy Sauce

2

Tbs

Worcestershire Sauce

1

tsp

Garlic (Fresh)

1

tsp

Onion Powder

1

cup

Wood Chips

Hickory or Apple (My preference is Apple)



SMART POINTS!


1. I love to grill with old fashioned charcoal. Whether you use charcoal or a gas grill, you only want to have the heat on one side. I’m an indirect cooking fan when it comes to grilling outside.


2. If you think this baste is good with salmon, try it with tuna, shark, or swordfish! You won’t be disappointed. (I’ve even used this baste on chicken and pork chops with great results. I probably gave away my business opportunity by sharing this recipe!)


Preparing Salmon:


1. Rinse salmon and cut out the mud vein. It’s really not “mud”; it’s the dark meat down the center of the filet on the side that had the skin. This meat in the fillet gives it the strong “fishy” taste.


2. The mud vein is easily removed by angling a sharp knife and cutting on both sides of the dark meat being careful not to cut through the fillet. You want to cut a “V”.


3. After cutting the “V”, grab either end and cut as you lift the vein from the fillet. Give the vein to your cat; you’ll be its hero!


4. Poke holes in and spray aluminum foil with non-stick cooking spray. Lay salmon fillets on foil.


Wood chips: Soak the wood chips in water for a minimum of 15 minutes.


Baste: Put the butter, horseradish, honey, soy sauce, garlic, onion powder, and worcestershire sauce in a pot. Take both sides of the lemon and squeeze all the juices into the pot. Tear or cut up one of the halves of lemon peels and throw the pieces into the pot. Heat this mixture on the stove on high heat until it almost boils over. Stir as the liquids heat. I let the sudsy boil reach the rim of the pot; this is how I know it’s done. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.


Cooking:

  1. Heat one side of the grill. High with gas/glowing, grey coals with charcoal.
  2. Stick a metal can filled with water (leave room so it doesn’t boil over) on the hot side of the grill. Heat to a boil. I always do this regardless of what I’m grilling to help prevent food from getting too dry. Steam helps with the cooking process as well!
  3. Set the salmon (on the foil) over the hot side of the grill. Cover the grill and let the salmon heat until the fat boils to the surface of the salmon fillets.
  4. Take your baster and push the fat into the hot coals/fire. Toxins are stored in the fat. I’m not sure if pushing the fat into the fire reduces toxins, but it certainly helps improve the taste of the salmon!
  5. After pushing the fat into the fire, I rotate the grate on the grill which moves the salmon to the opposite side away from the hot coals or fire. The remaining cooking process is done with indirect heat.
  6. Take the baste and your basting brush, and “dab” on a generous portion which covers the fillets. I splash some of the baste on the hot side of the grill to create smoke from the baste which adds to the flavor of the salmon.
  7. At this time, remove the woodchips from the water and throw them on the coals (charcoal) or on the grid above the flames if your using a gas grill. Return the cover to the grill and close the vents. You want to create a dense smoke in the grill.
  8. I let the smoke go for about 10 minutes and then I remove the lid and dab on more baste. I then offset my charcoal grill cover and open up the vents again so the coals get glowing hot again. I want the applied baste to sizzle on the foil. I’ll continue from this point by applying the baste generously until it is gone.
  9. Once the baste is gone, I’ll let the baste evaporate off the salmon and foil a little. This is when I bring the salmon into the house. If I’m not ready to serve it, I’ll wrap it in foil and let it sit on the counter.
  10. Add sea salt and fresh, ground pepper to taste (Lemon pepper is also good).


This is by far our favorite way to eat salmon!


Enjoy!


Shef D


No comments:

Post a Comment